Most people know that Cosmetologists provide personal care services that include caring for the condition of people’s hair, skin and nails. But did you know Cosmetology is one of the most popular and fastest growing professions in the world? Â Or do you know what the latest Cosmetology beauty profession is besides hair stylists, barbers, estheticians, manicurists and pedicurists, and theatrical and performance makeup artists?
Well, we thought we’d give you some fun facts so you can see where the profession has been and where itâ’s headed! The future looks gorgeous!
- The word “cosmetology” is derived from a Greek word meaning “beautifying.”
- Roman poetry suggests that an early type of hot curler existed to curl womenâ’s hair.
- Throughout history, people have used a variety of concoctions to improve their facial appearance, including blood for cheeks and lips, chalk powder, crocodile dung, and even lead.
- Experts and educators alike believe if you already have these skills, then Cosmetology is a great way to use them: excellent customer service, interpersonal, listening and speaking skills, creativity and superior time management.
- ApproximatelyÂ 617,300 people work in cosmetologyÂ careers.
- Employers include hair salons, nail salons, barber shops, spas, and resorts.
- About 43% of people working in this field are self-employed.
- Job outlooks differ by occupation. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects hair stylists, manicurists, cosmetologists, and estheticians to experience job growth that is much faster than the average for all occupations between 2016 and 2026. The government agency expects barbers and theatrical and performance makeup artists to experience faster than average job growth over the same period.
- The income that you can earn as a cosmetologist can vary from $25,000 to $70,000 a year depending on where you work.
- Some cosmetologists go on to develop their own lines of skincare and haircare products, as well as makeup lines.Â These cosmetologists-turned-product line creators include John Frieda, Vidal Sassoon, Paul Mitchell, Estee Lauder, and Lydia Sarfati.
So, do you know what the latest Cosmetology beauty profession is besides hair stylists, barbers, estheticians, manicurists and pedicurists, and theatrical and performance makeup artists?
- Cosmecaregivers: They provide beauty and skincare services to people who cannot leave their beds.
To be a part of one of the most exciting industries and professions, check out the www.mitsosatohairacademy.com.